Saturday, April 16, 2011

[Review] Spring 2011 first impression - TIER RANKING

Here is my 'personal, opinionated' tier ranking for the first impression of this season's series. The tier will be divided as;


E = Horrible, 0% chance of following, dropped.
D = Bad. 20% chance of following till the end. Re-watch value is zero.
C = Mediocre. 60% chance of following till the end, but Re-watch value is very low.
B = Decent. Sometimes involves my bias. Chance of following until the end is 90%.
A = Very good and enjoyable. 100% chance of following the series until the end.
S = Extremely good series. The best of best, tops the season's ranking.
SS = Anything that is close to masterpiece, but missed it due to 1% of mistakes. Also never given during the first impression ranking.
SSS = Masterpiece, but this rank never happens for the first impression ranking. This can only be given when it is perfect from the start to the end of the series.
---------------

E TIER

  <DOG DAYS>
"DOG DAYS" throws away seriousness of the war, and make it some kind of toy fighting. It's lack of seriousness is constantly turning me off. Concept of 'turning into the animal' or 'strip-show' when dies is way too childish, and makes entire thing incredibly boring. Direction is all over the place, so I cannot concentrate on single scene properly. This makes me even wonder if seven-arcs even have an ability to produce proper animation other than Nanoha the Devil Queen (Oh, it was founded by Akiyuki Shinbo, so not even their original works).

Rank:
Story: E
Sakuga: C
Music: B
Direction: D
Character: E
Enjoyment: E
Overall: E

<Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai>
I heard a lot of good receptions about its original VN. Even though I hate Nishimata Aoi's design so much, I decided to have a look at it. I even endured all those disturbing pantsu shots and.... AND....

One of the character was, fuckin, the most, ridiculous, chuni-byou I've ever seen. Automatically dropped, Kusoge adaptation is Kuso. 


Rank:
Story: E
Sakuga: D
Music: C
Direction: D
Character: E
Enjoyment: E
Overall: E

<HEALTH EDUCATION FOR 30s>
Fuck image, it was shit...

D TIER

 <A-Channel>
Let's start with the good things, characters are cute, eye purification level is definitely decent. Voice actors are fine, except Yuuki Aoi's voicing loli nagato.

It's by Saki's team, but... it was just boring. How should I care about ANYONE in this anime? The first 5 minutes are enough to tell you how bad direction of this animation is. It was practically impossible to keep my eyes in the screen, due to dullness of character design, colour palette, loose animation, and most of all, absolutely pointless storylines that does not even bring me to be turned on by moeness. Seriously, I appreciate moe most of the time, but this is just boring as hell.

Rank:
Story: E
Sakuga: D
Music: C
Direction: D
Character: D
Enjoyment: B

Overall: D


C TIER

 <C>
Soooo, we have 'C' in C tier.

The premises weren't half bad. It was very promising one, directed by Nakamura Kenji from Mononoke and Kuuchu Buranko. However, 1st episode disappointed me.

The problem is that I cannot erase the feeling that this animation is trying to just 'force' the idea of 'money is everything!' without realistic and deeper insight. After Kyuube the Human form makes contract with our poor haremless Ichika (*seiyuu-gag), it suddenly turns into shonen psychic-monster battle adventure whatever thing. I even started thing, 'was it even about money?'. Well, it is only first episode, so it is open for development, but the first impression definitely wasn't good as I though.

Rank:
Story: C
Sakuga: B
Music: C
Direction: A
Character: C
Enjoyment: C

Overall: C

<Hidan no Aria>
I say this, if JC-staff made Infinite Stratos, this will be an exact form it will take. It is basically, clone of Infinite Stratos. Textbook-following cliche with big big harem, with 'supposed to be cool' protagonist. Oh my, they even added Kugimin tsundere show. How familiar!

Regardless, it ended up being exactly as I expected. Bad, but still watch since there 'were' actually some good parts to follow on. However, I will still end up dropping this in early stage.

Rank:
Story: C
Sakuga: B
Music: C
Direction: D
Character: D
Enjoyment:C
Overall: C

B TIER

<Hana-saku Iroha>
One word to describe this series is 'morning drama'. There is nothing really special about the story. However, what saves this is main character Ohana and god-like sakuga. Sekiguchi Kanami's return was surely massive. PA Work's quality finally returned from shit-sucks-badness of Angel Beats to CANAAN/True Tears quality era. That alone is enough quality to make this top priority series for me.

Ohana is so moe. I want to see her getting teased more. :3


Rank:
Story: C
Sakuga: S
Music: B
Direction: B
Character: A
Enjoyment: B
Overall:B

<Nichijou>
Most of its part left me disappointed, honestly. It was based on my destroyed faith on Kyoto Animation's directional ability. So many parts that is supposed to be funny ended up being boring and tired some, they were repeating exactly same technique and spacing for every single comedy scenes, which is hilariously bad. Same as Hana saku Iroha, the thing that keeps me from watching this is SAKUGA. Animation quality is just INSANE. I mean seriously, wiener scene and racing part was just over kill. Even though it wasn't funny at all, my eye was pleased with it.

Rank:
Story: A
Sakuga: S
Music: C
Direction: C
Character: C
Enjoyment: A
Overall:B


<Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai II>
Now I think of it, I forgot to write about the reason why Manglobe fail. Oh well. Direction was very very bad as usual, but there was some improvements, some better directions here and there. I was a bit surprised with that. Nevertheless, Keima is god. No contest.

Rank:
Story: A
Sakuga: A
Music: C
Direction: D
Character: S
Enjoyment: B
Overall:B

A TIER

<Steins;Gate>
Yep, this series is indeed awesome. It's episode two, and infinite amount of foreshadowing is already released, which is keeping my interest constantly on high position. Although pacing makes some parts a bit confusing, it wasn't that hard to think. From some powerful directions, I could feel staffs deep attachment to this series. Very impressive.

Another major strength of this series was character. Okarin is 'real life' chuni-byou character, which is very rare in normal series. His delusional approach nothing more than role play, which is one of the crucial element to keep mood in balance between light and serious mood. Mayushi is cute and Hanakana is just <3. Other characters are very interesting too, including beautiful Makise Kurisu and Nyan nyan girl who also seems to suffer Chuni-byou.

Rank:
Story: A
Sakuga: A
Music: B
Direction: A
Character: A
Enjoyment: A
Overall: A


<Denpa Onna to Seishon Otoko>
Shaft series never disappoints me, period. I loved it. Downside was that there was 'way too much' denpa to understand what the hell is going on with the story, and how author is trying to be '2nd Nisioisin' with less than witty dialogues. Other than that, it is very good. Animation and character design is just top class this season. Seriously, Meme and Erio is sooooooooooooooooo cute and moe! Eye purification level is almost infinite. The main character isn't too bad either; I can see his potential as expert tsukomi. I look for to this much more.

I hate OP so much. But I'm listening it again and again. (*eh?)


Rank:
Story: B
Sakuga: A
Music: B
Direction: S
Character: A
Enjoyment: A
Overall: A


and finally......

S TIER
Yeah, you might be surprised. The S-tier animation, in other words, the series with the best first impression + high possibility of becoming masterpiece was NOT Steins;Gate. There was something more amazing, and that extremely good animation that I just kick myself for underestimating is...




.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
<Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai>
Japanese name: あの日見た花の名前を僕達はまだ知らない。
TS: We still don't know the name of the flower I saw that day.

;_________________;

Nagai Tatsuyuki, you did it. Seriously, this has almost 99% chance of becoming masterpiece. I've never seen something that is flawless as this episode. This shows how important direction is when portraying the story properly.

It's funny that Okada Mari is writing story for both Hana-saku Irohad and Ano Hana, but this one is far superior. Supported by flawless directions, this story is nothing like korean-morning-drama at all. They managed to create this much depressing+tear jerking mood in just one episode, and even that was amazingly done.

From the start to the end, including OP, ED and music, it was perfect. Instant S, and watching this. This is golden, noitaminA is finally saved.



Rank:
Story: S
Sakuga: A
Music: A
Direction: S
Character: S
Enjoyment: A
Overall: S

--------------------


There there... now I'm going to study....

12 comments:

  1. I'm not certain AnoHana will saive noitaminA. It's talking about children, the outcasts, the mystique, themes that didn't bring in the ratings for the block in the past. Indeed it's a marvelous show, but for who, exactly? The otaku. It's a seller, but I wouldn't be so sure it's a crowd pleaser. If they crank up the romance drama, then maybe.

    I pretty much agree with the ranking, although I liked C a tad better. The mood, the music, even seiyuu and direction were good. BUDGET however...

    Erio is my waifu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anon: ...... theme doesn't matter. Target population of noitminA was young female viewers, but it never says 'only'. If they make much more general series that can please entire crowd including target and otaku, that's the savior, isn't it?...

    Besides, Ano Hana looks infinitely better than any noitaminA shows aired recently, at least for me. Most of noitaminA shows tend to bore me to hell, but this one didn't. Otaku is also critical viewer, just like everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really love the first ep of Anohana but i dont think this wil be a masterpiece... meh i hope i am wrong. the last noitamina show that i really liked was House of Five Leaves (the best Manglobe adaptation imo) but i think you have found boring ... right? lol

    for me Steins;Gates is/will be the second big thing of 2011 (kyubey caught me xD).

    sorry for my bad english, i guess :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Critical capacity doesn't come into picture when you're presented with a theme you don't care for. This happened with Hourou Musuko. I hope for noitaminA's sake that AnoHana will be a crowd pleaser.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha...I LOL'd@ranking

    Oh, and you should watch Kaiji.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not saying that I don't like Denpa Onna, but I don't think the sakuga for it should be a high ranking. I feel that, this time, SHAFT sacrificed high animation for art quality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anon: From 'Shaft's usual standard, that's amazing quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I've never seen something that is flawless as this episode" Blasphemy!!! As a Shaft-tard and Tore-sama worshiper, the most flawless episode is Bakemonogatari ep.12 !!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't know why buy Denpa OP is very addictive. The singer sounds horrible (by intention, IMO) but seriously the music is actually very good. It's so weird that it's awesome. Can't stop listening to it. XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty much agree with your list.
    S tier >Yes, AnoHana gives me a "drama chill" that had been a super-rare chill for years, especially for 1st episode. OMG
    A tier > Steins;Gate is very good and the good news is, it's a late-stage show. This anime has a huge potential.
    Denpa Onna > Buriki, god.I'm still waiting for more eps,still. An AB for me.
    B tier >HanaIro actually give me a hope for drama which I seek for years, but I'm not that satisfied by the result up to ep 3,but it still deserves B tier.
    Nichijou is hilarious for me,I liked the comedy.But I don't know how will it becomes if I keep wathcing it until next season.
    KamiNomiS2 > Keima, god.But I can't wait until they could catch up with the manga,which is still so faaaaar

    doesn't really care with C tier, maybe catch up later when I got free time. D and E is also a skip for me.
    And I still hold TigerBunny and doesn't care with any other anime which didn't you listed. Good post and taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm,I dunno, for this season I actually enjoyed Nichijou the most so far and I watch almost every show this season, even 30sai and Sekaiichi... Which is pretty surprising since the manga was kinda disappointing for me. The show is like entirely made of boke which makes me want to do the tsukkomi and why do I have this nagging feeling that it was intentional...

    I'm more or less agree with the list though I'd put Anohana and Nichijou on A tier. Btw why there is no Tiger and Bunny on the list?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Anon: Tiger and Bunny isn't on there since I haven't watched it. It is that simple. u.u~~

    ReplyDelete