Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ranting: What is a 'perfect animation' or 'masterpiece' for you?

*Stare*

This is kind of silly question I think. Many 4chaners, forumers, Wapanese, net-otakus talks about so called 'masterpieces' in anime, or probably talks about 'perfect 10 out of 10 score' animation. Then, what is that definition of masterpiece or perfection for you? I find a lot of people saying something like 'it was good, but far from perfect', or 'it was good, but definitely not masterpiece'. How much better it has to be in order to meet that standard of 'perfection'?

Personally, I think those are all just shits. To be honest, the only animation that I think that is absolutely perfect + masterpiece is Nausika and Mononoke-hime. Both were animation wise, direction wise, story wise, philosophy wise, character wise, perfect, imo. However, even those two might have its own flaws. I don't get how people use those kind of logics.

(***Bakemonogatari is masterpiece in my heart. )

10 comments:

  1. Evangelion is a masterpiece for me, because it achieved anything it wanted to do. Remind people of how puberty was, and it did it absolutely flawlessly.

    Also Bakemonogatari is almost a masterpiece for me, but the direction is a little to inconsistent. Kizumonogatari might be one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. of all the animes i've watched... madoka is an absolute master piece along side bakemonogatari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bakemonogatari. A mix of compelling characters, intriguing art and visual candy is enough to satisfy me and this excelled in all of those and more.

    Also something like Bamboo Blade though idk why the hell I think this is really good. It doesn't exactly have the best of the three categories I need but it somehow works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are people who don't want to give a perfect score 10/10 just because of a crappy pretentious reason like "Nothing is perfect" They may think that they are very clever to say that. But seriously, these guys just don't know how to review and score the show properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty much your personal tastes, that's all. Sure, I foe example prefer well-written stories with a good pacing over the complete opposite and therefore I believe Fractale is utter crap. But some people enjoy it nonetheless (which amuses me, but that's another story), so while it's not a masterpiece for me, it might be that for someone else.

    I love Aria, others don't.

    Personal taste. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anime is masterpiece (except kuroshitsuji)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think i would be willing to call Darker than Black and Evangelion masterpieces

    ReplyDelete
  8. My personal Masterpieces are Durarara!, Arakawa Under the Bridge (both seasons) and, possibly, To Aru Majutsu no Index.

    Maybe throw in Hidamari Sketch too, but it suffers the "you could skip an episode and don't even notice" syndrome (which is a good and bad thing at the same time, look at Zetsubou-Sensei)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think something reaches masterpiece status when it sets an conscious/unconscious goal, completes it well, and the viewer responds well in kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An anime doesn't have to excel in every category to be a masterpiece. I don't even really know how to classify a masterpiece in the sense that I don't have a set of criteria that have to be fulfilled. For me an anime is a masterpiece if I think at the end: "This was absolut greatness."

    Wiki sais:
    "Masterpiece (or chef d'œuvre) in modern usage refers to a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill or workmanship."

    Here it isn't explicitly told who has to critical praise something to be a masterpiece or who is the one considering. So, in the end, maybe it comes all down to personl opinion yet again.

    ReplyDelete