Tuesday, April 9, 2013

[Review] Shingeki no Kyojin - You call this 1st episode.

Shingeki no Kyojin aka. Attack of the Titans - possibly one of the biggest hit manga selling over 10 million. Its anime adaptation? I honestly didn't expect much especially when I found out the director Tetsurou Araki (Who did the worst animation of the year, Guilty Crown) and Production IG (Well, it is actually WIT-Studio - 6th branch of IG which recently got separated) is doing the series.

...Well, I can say that episode had so many good stuffs in it, I feel that this can become the animation of the year 2013. First impression of this series was THAT good.

When I watch anime, 1st thing I care about is animation/sakuga itself. It is actually guaranteed that Production IG will have high production value, but there were so many small, but great features that made its quality even higher. Rough and sharp sketch of characters + use of CG built up unbreakable tension. I couldn't breathe a single bit by the end of the episode - which had flawless direction that shows great amount of despair that characters are facing, directly to the viewers. That CG blood, wow. One of the best direction I've seen for a long time.

This episode was definitely BETTER than manga. It had full use of advantage that anime has and manga doesn't, such as colour usage and background detail. Regardless of what comes up during the series, this 1st episode sure had its impact.

PS. Also, tat BGM.

No comments:

Post a Comment